Thursday 5 May 2011

Discussion Topic # 7

Linnet said...
I think the reporting process should be looked at. I have had terrible trouble with my daughter who finds it very frustrating.

1. Most students are grouped as 'C' grade, its difficult to show anything higher, especially when the teachers don't cover advanced topics.
2. If an A or B is given, she thinks she doesn't need to attend class as she obviously 'has already learnt it'! Since that symbolises knowledge 6-12mths ahead of class.

This leads to no encouragement to strive for better grades, difficult for parents to reward improvement, and the definitions of the grades create misconceptions for younger student that take them literally.

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting comment. I had never thought of it from that perspective before. I suppose it depends on whether she wants to maintain her lead over the other children and whether the brain-food is offered to enable her to do so. My children love their As although they do grumble that you can't get an A in something like History because you can't be a year ahead in it!

    ReplyDelete